St. Benezet Bridge (Pont d' Avignon)
 Favorited  Favorited  error

Area:Avignon   Sightseeing Genre: Stroll   Monuments

   Tourist spot   Encounter   For couple   For family   Maniac   With your kids   For Travel alone   For Senior   For young people   for group


  • Stroll   Monuments

Sing on the famous medival bridge!

St.Benezet Bridge known as Pont d'Avignon is built between 1177 and 1185. 40 years later, this bridge was destroyed during the Albigensian Crusade when Louis VIII of France laid siege to Avignon. As it was a primarily wooden bridge, this bidge so fragile that it could neither resist repeated restorations nor sustain frequent floods, which led the bridge, in the middle of the 17th century, to be abandoned. Today only four of initial 22 arches remain after all. The Chapel of Saint Nicholas sits on the second pier of the bridge. It was constructed in the second half of 12th century but has since been substantially altered. The Chapel of Saint Nicholas and the four remaining arches were listed as a Monument historique in 1840.

Saint Nicholas Chapel

The Saint Nicholas Chapel is divided into two floors; each of them with a nave and an apse.


  • All
  • Sightsee..
  • Hotels
  • Optional..
  • Restaura..
  • Shopping
  • Ways to ..
Boulevard de la Ligne
marker Access
0min, walk from Palace of Popes